My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Is an organized closet the sign of an organized mind? :-)

I certainly hope so!

This week I've cleaned out closets and organized them, straightened out messy junk drawers, and generally done my best to neaten up a number of those places in my home that most people (unless they live here) don't see.

Why would I do such a crazy thing?

I'm trying to organize my mind.

What I mean by that is that I'm heavily involved in plotting at the moment--not only the book I'm currently writing, but also, in general terms, the books that come after it in the series. I feel like I'm juggling big-time--plots, characters, story and series arcs--it's a lot of info to get straight in my mind. For some reason, I'm finding that a good time to think these things through is when I'm doing something mindless (cleaning certainly gives me lots of time to think).

I suppose I could just sit in a comfy chair and think . . . my dog would certainly prefer that I sit and cuddle with her (don't get me wrong--I can sit and veg, too, but I don't generally do anything at that point). Unfortunately that flies in the face of my multi-tasking personality. Besides, when I do that, I don't look like I'm doing anything, so I don't really feel like I'm accomplishing anything, either. If I'm cleaning, I have a neater house to show for it--and a neater mind, too.

By the time I finish my forays into more organized living this week, I ought to have things pretty well worked out for my books.

And if I don't, at least I'll be able to find things again amongst all my stuff!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl St.John said...

I have a little sign in my office closet that reads: "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind.'

LOL

11:05 PM  
Blogger Sharon Schulze said...

I like the way you think, Cheryl! Even though I got most of the closets under control, lately the island in my kitchen looks like a bomb went off and exploded papers all over the place.

I've got most of them sorted into piles at the moment, since I need to clear the surface before the kids come over tomorrow for Thanksgiving (but you'll notice where I am right now--on line vs. cleaning . . . hmm, tough decision :-))

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home