My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blame it on Robin Hood

I like movies--a lot! When I was putting myself through engineering school I worked in a cinema, which had the wonderful perk that we could check out whatever was showing for free (in my not-so-copious free time, lol). In recent years my husband and I don't get out to the cinema too often, but we do manage to watch a fair number of movies once they come out on dvd.

A movie I'm determined to see on the big screen, however, is the upcoming Robin Hood. It's not that I haven't seen any Robin Hood movies or TV shows before--I've probably seen pretty much every (fairly) well-known English-language version, both good (Errol Flynn's The Adventures of Robin Hood, anyone? Campy but fun) and the nearly-so (fortunately Alan Rickman et. al. saved Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves from the Kevin Costner surfer-dude Robin--and the sound track is great writing music); animated (Disney's Robin Hood) and TV-movie (Robin Hood with Patrick Bergin as Robin--cool!; Uma Thurman as Marion--not so much) . . . to name a few.

But the show that got me hooked on Robin Hood, and that set me on the path of writing 12th/13th century medieval romances, was the 1950's TV show The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Richard Greene. I didn't see it when it was on originally, since it first aired before I was born, but back when I was in elementary school it was on every Monday - Friday before the evening news on WMUR-TV (the only New Hampshire TV station back in the day--and one of the few channels we could get on a TV with rabbit ears!).

I loved that show! My brother and I watched it every night; when we got together with my younger cousins at my grandfather's on Sunday afternoons we'd head off into the woods and play Robin Hood. We'd gather around a big, flat granite stone we called the Robin Hood rock, where we'd determine (by a process of elimination I don't recall) who got to be Robin, the Sheriff, Little John, etc. We were very progressive; gender had no bearing upon what part you got to play. I do remember that whoever lost--boy or girl--had to be Maid Marion (even though Marion was known to fight alongside the Merry Men and was pretty good with a bow!).

We were still playing Robin Hood long after they'd stopped showing The Adventures of Robin Hood on TV. By then my fate had been set--I'd developed an abiding love for the time period; for savvy, sword-wielding, honorable men who fought for the women and ideals they held dear; for women who, like Marion with her bow, didn't sit back and wait for men to rescue them. As I got older I studied the history, read anything--nonfiction and fiction--set in that era I could get my hands on. Although I didn't bring the Robin Hood legend into my books until Bride of the Tower, its influence on my writing is clear to me no matter what story--or time period--I write.

The opportunity to see that time period--the battles, the sword fights, the romance of it all (despite the dirt, blood, vermin, etc)--outside my imagination doesn't come along that often, so I need to get my fix when I can. Medieval romance on the big screen . . . guess where I'll be when Robin Hood hits the cinema?

What has influenced or continues to influence what you choose to read, or to write? Were your choices/interests set in your childhood, too?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With thousandѕ οf businеss offers out therе,
with very little attentіon since the release of Mandiant's report. It's realizing whеn I neeԁ to
find the balanсe of trust. You must understanԁ not only ωho theу arе, аnd about hоw thеy crеated a
pгoԁuct that will hаve your logo that you can
contіnue уour reseаrch ωith Piсkіng and Pаcking in Ιnventory.
In order tо make them the best ѕеrviceѕ іn the business UΚ.


Feel free to visit mу blog pοst; online internet marketing certificate

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home